Tuesday, May 27, 2008

i've been busy...

I've finally finished a couple little projects I've been wanting to wrap up. The first is a cute little headband. I got the pattern from this website ( http://foofanagle.wordpress.com/2007/06/12/best-band-ever/ ) The instructions are clear and it turned really cute. They have a narrow and a wide version. The one Sara has on is the wide one and I made a narrow one for me out of the same fabric. The cool part...it's reversible and washable! Can't beat that. And it's super fast and easy to make.


The next little project was a little dress for Sara. I got the fabric at Joann's. It comes already shirred, so all you have to do is put a seam in it. Very easy. And she loves it.

I added double straps from ric rac. They don't have to be super strong because the shirring is what really holds it up. They just keep it from creeping down.

And then a little more ric rac at the bottom. I think this is what really makes the dress cute.

And of course the best part about being a stay at home mom...Pretend birthday cakes from my little snuggle bug. And it's not even my birthday. You know you're jealous. :)

I'm just curious, but for those of you that sew and have taught your children how to sew, at what age did you start teaching them? And another question. What kind of sewing machine do you have? Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Des said...

Well, you are just full of questions today! First: DARLING, adorable, dress. Very cute fabric. ADORE the headband. I need one for the gym, for me with terry cloth on one side. Do you think that would work? There's a question for YOU. Sewing for children: ASAP. I like the lace up cards. You can kind of get an idea if they will sit still for long, if they have an interest in it. I sew all the time so I thought my daughter would want to do the same. I taught her when she was 7-8 and she enjoyed it but very short attention span. Now give her a pair of scissors and she will cut for hours. Go figure. I think you can start them at any age (within reason, of course) as long as you are willing to be there to help them the entire time. I used this book (I'll teach myself: Sewing Machine Fun! Book 1 by Possibilities) and I loved it for the most part. The projects were a little strange (directions) but the basics and how to use a machine was so fun for a child. I have a janome and if you're looking to get a machine for a child, I really like the Janome Jem. Or this is always the Hello Kitty machine. I was tempted with that one. :) Wow, 10 pages later, I think I'm done.